Weekend workshops are great to learn some particular styles or choreographed solo jazz routine to aid your swing dancing!
Here's one for you this June:
Lindy Hop Workout with James
We organize a special 8 hours of class which includes Lindy and Charleston with guest instructor James Lee (KL, Malaysia) and our own Trang Khanh over 2 weekends this June, 2019 with the goal to bring our Intermediate dancers on an intensive workout of Lindy Hop to solidify and pimp up their danceability esp. in faster swinging music. (like Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman or Jumping At The Woodside by Count Basie) 😂
WHEN: 13.00 to 15.00 Saturday and Sunday Jun 1, 2, 8, 9
WHERE: GS Dance studio 129 Dinh Tien Hoang, Binh Thanh (https://goo.gl/maps/4juJ658yu9zcB9mz5)
- how to connect better with not only your partner, but also to the music.
- how to mix Charleston into fast Lindy and vice versa.
- tricks to steal (partner) in dance jam circles with suave.
WHO CAN JOIN: all who are comfortable with swing out (prerequisite!)😎 and want to get more fun doing more tricks
- 🐣Early Birds price at 1.4M per person or 2.6M per couple for Full workshop of 4 sessions until May 29.
- 🐤Full price at 1.7M per person or 3.2M per couple
- Connecting better with your partner
- Maintaining a frame when dancing
- Swing outs & Styling
- Matching your partner & breaks
- Fast Lindy
- Fast Lindy
- Circle Jam steals & etiquette
REGISTRATION LINK: https://forms.gle/t7V5jvD6xB7Wa1hP9
James is from Borneo Island. Dancing has always been in his blood. Four years ago, he reconnected with Swing Dancing and fell in love with it. He has been actively involve in the Swing Dancing scene of Malaysia. While he is often seen dancing and competing (in places such as Asia and Australia) he helps document memories in swing through his love of photography.
JNJ, First place, Swing out loud, Malaysia
Finals, Big Bang Swing, Thailand
Finals, Australia Jitterbug Championship, Australia
Second place, Australia Jitterbug Championship, Australia
Second place, Mala Swing, China
First place, Summer event, Australia
Do-BE the Tranky Do
Solo Jazz is a general term that can refer to anything from the pre-Cake Walk dances to post war era material linked with be-bop as well as rhythm 'n' blues music. In modern terminology, it often refers to dancing without a partner rather than dancing with a partner, and it comes without any influences of ballet or any other modern contemporary techniques. Also known as Vernacular Jazz, Authentic Jazz and Original Jazz, it can be danced free and improvised or in routines like the Big Apple in Keep Punchin, the Tranky Doo in Spirit Moves or the Shim Sham. (reference from Herrang.com)
Saigon Swing Cats opens a #solojazz workshop that is organized over 3 consecutive sessions of 2 hours duration (total 6 hours) so you can learn all the breakdowns (to the single beat) and time to self-practice to absorb the rhythms of many fun vernacular authentic jazz movements, put together as the pretty much hyped Tranky Doo routine. 🔎 Read more about its mysterious history here. NO PARTNERS NEEDED!
⭕ The goal is everyone who finishes the routine can join our group performance at our great party to celebrate Lindy Hop dance this coming May 25 at #sofitel.🤗
When: 3 consecutive sessions
1️⃣ Session 1: 13.30 till 15.30 Saturday 18 May 2019.
2️⃣ Session 2: 13.30 till 15.30 Sunday 19 May 2019.
3️⃣ Session 3: 19.30 till 21.30 Monday 20 May 2019
Where: GS Dance Studio A @ 129 Dinh Tien Hoang, Binh Thanh (https://goo.gl/maps/cxV61BehahD2)
Instructor: Thanh Thanh
Been “swinging” for 3 years with the cats, Thanh Thanh Nguyen has brought lots of joy and groove to the dance floor with her contagious enthusiasm and freestyle street dancing background.
Improvised or choreographed, authentic jazz is rhythmical, playful and full of character – you just have to add a bit of your color to own it. “A good lindy hopper is a good vernacular jazz dancer.”
Thanh Thanh got the 1st place in the J&J competition and gave the wonderful Opening Performance of an originally created solo routine You Talk A Little Trash this January 2019 at Swing Into Spring weekend.
What to WEAR:
- Dress comfortably for physical movements. Please consider using anti-sweat deodorant, bringing extra shirts and/or towels for the comfort of yourself in contact with others! Read more on our Dance Etiquette
- Best to wear your leather sole dance shoes, or comfy non-marking sole sneakers like KEDS!
- Early Bird: VND 720,000 / pax if you pay by Bank Transfer to VPBank account number 177576735 or in Cash to UONG TU THUY at Wednesday Social at Chanh Bistro Calmette (171 Calmette, D.1) between 9pm - 10.30pm on Wednesday 15th May, 2019.
- Full At Door: VND 900,000 / pax if you pay at the door via Bank Transfer or in Cash to UONG TU THUY at GS studio 13.30 on Saturday 18th May, 2019.
You know you don't want to miss it this time!
The Saigon Swing Cats
Stay tuned for exciting workshops on this page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!